To be able to live in and enjoy a safe and secure community is a core need for all people. When this need is not being fulfilled people can become concerned about their safety and the safety of their family and friends. This concern may lead them to make decisions about whether or not to go to the places where they are fearful, or allow themselves to get into the situations about which they are fearful. As a result, there can be a loss of quality of life through limits people place on their daily activities so that they can avoid specific places where they believe they or their property may be harmed in some way – physically, emotionally or financially.
Community safety encompasses many components of community life, and this makes community safety such a challenging and exciting area of social policy. Government and organisations can make a great difference to their community.
MGN has been involved in community safety for over 12 years:
- as accredited international peer reviewers for the Australian Safer Communities Foundation, reviewing Australian and International city applications for Safe City recognition
- as one of the leading companies working with local governments investigating and installing CCTV systems, focusing on quality partnerships, transparency and accountability (See our client list )
- as a consultant in crime prevention, road safety, education at state and local levels
- as independent evaluators of federally funded long term health promotion programs (Healthy Communities Initiative)
- with extensive experience as employees of Victoria Police, with management experience and responsibility for workplace safety (OHS)
- as independent evaluator of a component of the Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority response to the 2009 Victorian bushfires